In this tutorial / article we are going to guide you how to root your Motorola Moto G3 and how to unlock the bootloader and you will also learn here that how to install TWRP recovery in this android phone with simple and easy steps. If you want to enjoy custom rom or install new tweaks or increase processing speed, then rooting is the best option for you.
The third generation version of Moto G series called Motorola Moto G3 came with many new features and advancements. It was released in 2015 July. It comes with a 5.0 inches of HD display, 13MP camera, 5 Megapixel front shooter with the device. 2GB of RAM. 2470 mAh battery is included in the unit of Motorola Moto G3. Under the hood of the Moto G 3rd gen, you get a 1.4 Ghz quad core processor.
Requirements to Root Motorola Moto G3 and Unlock BootLoader
- You need to make sure that your smartphone has at least 60 to 70 percent of battery life as its not safe if the mobile shuts down during the procedure.
- Create a backup of all your data as it’s precautionary. If anything goes wrong at least your data will be saved.
- Enable USB debugging on your device/smartphone. Go to ‘’Settings > About Phone’’ and tap on build number 7 to 8 times. Return to Settings and then go to Developer Options. Enable USB debugging from here.
- Install Minimal ADB and fast boot tools from the following link; Download Minimal ADB and FastBoot Tools.
How to Unlock BootLoader of Motorola Moto G3
For rooting your device, you need to first Unlock the boot loader of it and for that u need to follow the following steps:
- Power off your Moto G3.
- Now turn it on in Fast boot mode. To enter the Fast boot mode of Motorola Moto G3, you have to press Volume Up + Power key.
- Connect the smartphone to your PC. Go to the folder where you have installed Minimal ADB and Fast boot tools. Open the command window by selecting right mouse button and Shift key. Select open command window here.
- Enter the command ‘’fast boot devices’’ and check if the Motorola Moto G3 is connected in fast boot mode with your computer.
- Enter the command ‘’fast boot oem get_unlock_data’’ to get the unlock data for the bootloader.
- A long string will be displayed in front you on the screen. Copy it and keep it in any notepad. Remove all the spaces which are present in the string.
- Go to the following link and open Motorola website: Unlock BootLoader Motorola Official Website
- Make an account on the Motorola site or if you have one then Log In and paste the string which you have copied in notepad in Step 5 above.
- Then select ‘’Can my device be unlocked’’, Select ‘’I Agree’’ on the option and after that you have to choose ‘’Request Unlock Key’’.
- Open your mail id and then check the mail sent by Motorola. It will have a unlock code which will help you to unlock the bootloader of Motorola Moto G3.
- Enter this command ‘’fastboot OEM unlocks (insert code here)’’, this will unlock the bootloader finally.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Moto G3
- Download TWRP(2.8.7-r7.img) recovery for Motorola Moto G3 by opening this link > Download TWRP Recovery, Rename the recovery to ‘img’ and copy it to the directory of ‘MinimalFastboot’ and ‘ADB tools’.
- Now you have to put your Motorola Moto G3 in Fastboot mode again.
- Enter this command ‘’fastboot flash recovery twrp.img’’ and this will flash the recovery.
Once this has been done, and your recovery has been flashed you are ready to root your Motorola Moto G3 android smart phone mobile.
- Download SuperSu from this link > Download SuperSU.
- Power off your Phone and enter it into recovery mode.
- Select the Install button and search for SuperSu file.
- Flash the file on your android smart phone mobile.
- Download SuperBoot app from this site > Download SuperBoot App.
- Unzip the file on your computer.
- On the command prompt window navigate to the folder you have just unzipped (using cd commands).
- Turn off your Moto G smartphone.
- Enter into bootloader mode by pressing and holding the volume down and power buttons at the same time for a few seconds.
- Then connect your smartphone to your computer via a USB cable.
- On the command prompt window type the following command: “superboot-windows.bat.”
- Wait for your Motorola Moto G3 to be restarted and unplug it.
Congratulations, you have successfully rooted your Motorola Moto G3 android smart phone mobile.
Check also: How to root Motorola Droid RAZR M
If any questions come in your mind, do contact us in the comments section.